15 Facts About Military Spending That Will Make Your Head Explode
1. America spends more on its military than the next 15 countries combined,
2. By 2033 the U.S. will be paying $59 billion a year to its veterans injured in the wars.
3. In 2007, the amount of money labeled ‘wasted’ or ‘lost’ in Iraq — $11 billion — could pay 220,000 teachers salaries.
4. America’s defense spending doubled in the same period that its economy shrunk from 32 to 23 percent of global output.
5. The yearly cost of stationing one soldier in Iraq could feed 60 American families.
6. Defense spending is higher today than at any time since the height of World War II.
7. The total known land area occupied by U.S. bases and facilities is 15,654 square miles — bigger than D.C., Massachusetts, and New Jersey combined.
8. Each day in Afghanistan costs the government more than it did to build the entire Pentagon.
9. In 2008, the Pentagon spent more money every five seconds in Iraq than the average American earned in a year.
10. The pentagon budget consumes 80% of individual income tax revenue.
11. Two decades after the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Defense Department still has more than 40 generals, admirals or civilian equivalents based in Europe.
12. The amount the government has spent compensating radiation victims of nuclear testing ($1.5 billion) could fully educate 13,000 American kids.
13. The Pentagon spends more on war than all 50 states combined spend on health, education, welfare, and safety.
14. The U.S. has 5% of the world’s population — but almost 50% of the world’s total military expenditure.
15. The US. must spend a full 1 percent of its GDP just to maintain its arsenal.